Taipei Medical University Appointment Regulations for Distinguished Professors
Article 1 To encourage the full-time professors to improve academic performance and pursue higher honors, the University sets up ” Taipei Medical University Appointment Regulations for Distinguished Professors” (hereinafter referred to as “the Regulations”).
Article 2 The setup of Distinguished Professors shall be budgeted by the University or budgeted by the Ministry of Education.
Article 3 A Distinguished Professor shall be a full-time professor of the University and have a professorship of three years or more, and shall meet one of the following basic qualifications:
1. Is currently or has been selected as an academician of the Academia Sinica.
2. Has been selected as a National Chair Professor by the Ministry of Education.
3. Has been awarded by the Ministry of Education for academic awards or selected by the Ministry of Science and Technology as special researchers.
4. Has received the Outstanding Research Award from the Ministry of Science and Technology in the past three years.
5. Has received research grant for annual projects from the Ministry of Science and Technology consecutively in the past three years.
6. Has received Faculty Merit Pay for three consecutive years in accordance with Articles 3, items 4 to 7 of the “Taipei Medical University Enforcement Rules of the Faculty Merit Pay.”
Article 4 The University shall organize a Distinguished Professor Evaluation Committee to be responsible for the examination of the appointment of Distinguished Professors. The committee shall consist of five to seven experts or scholars appointed by the Principal from inside and outside the University with one of them serving as the convener.
Article 5 Application and Examination Procedures:
1. Professors who meet the qualifications of Article 3, items 1 to 3 can submit the list and relevant documentation in person or through his/her department or college.
2. Professors who meet the qualifications of Article 3, items 4 to 6 can submit the application in person or through his/her department or
college by the end of May each year. The Distinguished Professor Review Committee will make a recommendation after examining the
application (The examination form is attached in Appendix A).
3. In accordance with Article 3, items 4 to 6, the number of Distinguished Professors hired shall account for 10 percent of the total
number of professors in the University.
4. After the result of the examination is approved by the University’s Teacher Evaluation Committee, it will then be submitted to the
Principal for approval.
Article 6 Professors employed in accordance with Article 3, items 1 to 3 shall be appointed as Distinguished Professors during the course of employment at the University; those who are employed in accordance with Article 3, items 4 to 6 shall be employed by a term of three years and can be appointed continuously. During the course of employment, a monthly grant of NT. 40,000 can be offered to assist with the teaching and
Article 7 Principles of the distribution of the grant during the course of employment:
1. Only the higher of the grant for Distinguished Professors and the Faculty Merit Pay is distributed.
2. The grant shall be suspended during an appointment of Chair Professor.
3. The grant shall be suspended in the case of leave without pay, retirement, and an end of employment.
Article 8 The Regulations have been ratified and enacted by the University Meeting; all amendments shall be made according to the aforementioned procedure.
*English version is for reference only. If there is any inconsistency or ambiguity between these two versions, the Traditional Chinese version shall prevail.